Understorey Magazine publishes literary writing and visual art by and about women in Canada. “Women” includes all who identify as such or as non-binary. “In Canada” includes those who identify as First Nations or Métis, those with or applying for permanent residence and Canadians living abroad. We love words but are not stuck on labels or definitions. Contact us if you have questions about eligibility.
Before submitting work, please read our mandate and the guidelines below.
Understorey Magazine aims to publish as many different voices, styles, and perspectives as possible. We welcome submissions from women of various ages, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, abilities and disabilities, and educational and economic backgrounds.
Part of Understorey‘s mission is to publish voices of Canadian women, particularly underrepresented voices. As such, we lean toward personal stories, whether told through fiction, creative nonfiction or poetry. We are open to traditional short story, essay and poetic forms as well as letters, prose poems, rants, anecdotes, dialogue, or any shape your story wants to take. Surprise us!
Please note we do not publish “how-to” articles or expository essays. Nonfiction pieces should be “creative” or literary. See What is Creative Nonfiction? for a detailed description.
Audio / Video
Understorey Magazine illustrates each published story with visual art by Canadian women. We welcome photos of art or craft. Please see our current and past issues for examples.
- Please include a cover letter that demonstrates you are familiar with at least one issue of Understorey Magazine (all issues are here). Also include a short biographical statement.
- Creative writing submissions must be original, unpublished work.
- Keep all submissions under 1,500 words. Poets, submit no more than five poems at one time. Prose-writers, please submit only one piece per issue.
- Visual art may be published elsewhere online. Please send a jpg file of approximately 800 x 600 pixels.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions but let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Writers and artists retain copyright of their work. Writers grant Understorey Magazine nonexclusive Internet rights to publish their work.
- We offer a small honorarium ($30-$60) to writers and artists whose work is accepted for publication. Please note: Due to our administrative partnership with Mount Saint Vincent University, to receive an honorarium, contributors to Understorey are required to provide their Social Insurance Number. This is only required when and if your piece is accepted for publication. (Contact us with any questions.)
- Email your submissions to email@example.com. Writers, include your work in the body of the email.
- You can also submit by regular mail. Send your work to Understorey Magazine, Attn: Katherine Barrett, RR #1, Lunenburg, NS, B0J 2C0