Our vision is to sustain a relevant, accessible, and aesthetically beautiful venue that illuminates the life experiences of writers and artists in Canada who identify as women or non-binary. To achieve this vision we:
- Publish compelling, original works of literary prose, poetry, and visual art.
- Inspire, encourage, and mentor new and emerging writers and artists.
- Support and promote established writers and artists.
- Seek out underrepresented stories and voices.
- Maintain a broadly feminist perspective that is welcoming, inclusive, and empowering.
Understorey launched in November 2013 as a project of the Second Story Women’s Centre in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. With their generous administrative and editorial support, we published seven fabulous issues on the many facets of motherhood, including a special issue on motherhood and disability.
In 2016, Understorey formed a new partnership with the Alexa McDonough Institute for Women, Gender and Social Justice (AMI) at Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax. This collaboration has seen the magazine grow and diversify. We have maintained our interest in motherhood (defined broadly) but have expanded our scope to include a range of relevant themes such as justice, age, service, African Nova Scotian women, and femmes francophones du Canada atlantique.
Learn more about Understorey Magazine by reading our past issues.
Title: Understorey Magazine
Published: Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Frequency: 2-3 times per year