Issue 19: Food Work
Deadline: October 9, 2020
Understorey Magazine seeks submissions of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, spoken word, and visual art about women/gender and all aspects of food work.
We are interested in submissions by women and non-binary writers and artists on their experiences of creating, gathering, processing, transporting, cooking & serving food, as well as the work of disposing of or redistributing food waste, food policy, and food aid.
Understorey publishes literary writing and visual art. We do not publish academic work or journalism. Please read our mandate and general submission guidelines (below).
Understorey Magazine publishes stories based in life experience and told through fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and visual art. We feature writers who identify as female or non-binary and who also have a strong connection to Canada. This includes Canadian citizens, permanent and temporary residents, stateless people in Canada, and Indigenous people living within the political boundaries of what is currently called Canada. Please contact us if you have questions about eligibility.
Before submitting work, please read our mandate and the guidelines below.
Understorey Magazine aims to publish as many different voices, styles, and perspectives as possible. We welcome submissions from women of various ages, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, abilities and disabilities, and educational and economic backgrounds.
Part of Understorey‘s mission is to publish voices of Canadian women, particularly underrepresented voices. As such, we lean toward personal stories, whether told through fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry. We are open to traditional short story, essay, and poetic forms as well as letters, prose poems, rants, anecdotes, dialogue, or any shape your story wants to take. Surprise us!
Please note we do not publish “how-to” articles, expository essays, or academic work. Nonfiction pieces should be “creative” or literary. See What is Creative Nonfiction? for a detailed description.
Audio / Video
Understorey Magazine illustrates most published stories with visual art by Canadian women. We welcome photos of art or craft. Please see our current and past issues for examples.
- Please include a cover letter that demonstrates you are familiar with at least one issue of Understorey Magazine (all issues are here). Also include a short biographical statement.
- Creative writing submissions must be original, unpublished work.
- Keep all submissions under 1,500 words. Poets, submit no more than five poems at one time. Prose writers, please submit only one piece per issue.
- Visual art may be published elsewhere online. Please send a jpg file of approximately 800 x 600 pixels.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions but let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Writers and artists retain copyright of their work. Writers grant Understorey Magazine nonexclusive Internet rights to publish their work.
- We offer a small honorarium ($50-$100) to writers and artists whose work is accepted for publication. Please note: Due to our administrative partnership with Mount Saint Vincent University, to receive an honorarium, contributors to Understorey (with some exceptions) are required to provide their Social Insurance Number. This is only required when and if your piece is accepted for publication. (Contact us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Email your submissions to email@example.com. Writers, include your work in the body of the email.